Monday, June 15, 2009

Random Japan...

Here are some of the things I've seen in the last week, as my first school year in Japan draws to a close:
Yesterday Lori and I went to the Hakozaki Flea Market, where I looked for souvenirs to bring home to friends and family. It was also good for people watching! I want to take more pictures of random Japanese people, to capture their style which is quite distinct, but I often wimp out. My 2009-2010 school year resolution will be to take more/better such pictures, of ladies like this, for instance, protecting their delicate skin from the summer sun:
Or perhaps I could take up drawing, like this guy, sitting on the ramparts of the old castle sketching the first lotus blooms of the summer:
Lotus! Good to look at and to eat!
Fukuoka has more hair salons per capita than any other city (according to my eyes and corroborated by my hair dresser). So why not choose a salon called Beer?
The sun came out yesterday, but the humidity is still mild, so the sidewalks were full of bikers. (Fully dressed bikers, alas, as this is no Portland!)
Do you think I could pull off this look?
I've had a persistent cough so I went to a doctor, who looked at my throat for 30 seconds then gave me a bag full of pills and these handy instructions: