Monday, August 11, 2008

My first weekend in Fukuoka!

This is the view of Fukuoka from the ferry to Nokonoshima.  The skinny pointy building is called the Fukuoka Tower and it is very close to where I live.  The gold dome is the Fukuoka Dome, recently renamed the Fukuoka Yahoo! Japan Dome.  Yahoo!  It is the home stadium for the SoftBank Hawks, the local baseball team.  I feel right at home living in a city where rich corporations put their names all over things.  


The ferry docks here in Nokonoshima, or Noko Island.  The hills are alive with the buzzing cicadas and other Jurassic insects!  







Noko is pretty close to the mainland (see map from previous post).  The beach behind me here didn't look too inviting, but apparently there are real nice beaches around the corner, if you don't mind jellyfish.  





Lori, the new first-grade teacher and my first friend in Fukuoka, lives here on the island.  I love her cute house, but do not love the spider in the bathroom.  She has a view of the beach and the city.  






The park at the top of the island is famous for its gardens.  Even in the heat I enjoyed strolling with my new FIS friends.  










Jan, John, Lori, and Linda, the new Head of School.  








Perhaps Janene can enlighten me as to what is going on here?  








Lori, Linda, and I had beer and bacon at this little place in Tenjin.  








My first visit to the famous yatai stalls in Tenjin.  Next time I will seek out the ones on the river, but this one by the bus station had great ramen!  They pack up the stalls every day and bring them out for evening culinary delights!  Instant restaurant!  





On Sunday night Lori and I cooked soba noodles at home.  But first we had to figure out which sauces/oils/vinegars to buy at the store...










I posted more pics at Picasa, so check them out if you want!  If you post photos on Picasa send me a link so I can see what you are up to, too!  Anyhow, it's Monday evening now and I think the daily thunderstorm has passed.  I may take my money (thank you, Apple) tomorrow and take a bus or train out of town for the next several days.  Wish me luck!  Happy Obon!

1 comment:

barbro17 said...

happy obon ali!
we have been getting daily thunder and lightning too!
xo
-b