Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sake!

This weekend I was lucky to go sake tasting... twice!  Yesterday our friend Atsuko took Lori and I to a sake brewery in nearby Maebaru (followed by a lovely lunch at Futamigaura Beach).  Then today we were pleasantly surprised to find a tasting tent set up at the Dazaifu Tenjin Shrine.  At the brewery we tried sparkling sake, sweet plum sake, whiskey-strong sake, and a thick liquid that is left over at the end of the sake-making process. We had milky sake and clear sake. I bought a bottle of the new 2009 sweet sake, and finally learned the kanji character for sake, or nihonshu. I've been having trouble in stores distinguishing sake (rice wine) from the local specialty: shochu, which is distilled from sweet potatoes and is not my favorite.In Dazaifu we tried many strong sakes. I prefer sweet sake!
I tried a taste of this gold-flake sake...And bought a little bottle to take home!There's gold in that sake!

No comments: