Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Singapore

I spent four days in Singapore to attend the International Baccalaureate Asia-Pacific Teacher Convention.  I am new to the IB program and was mildly interested in the topic: "Assessment for Meaningful Learning."  Mostly, though, I was interested in sampling the diverse cuisine of this equatorial city-state.  So my pictures are mostly of food...
In Little India I had the creamiest korma ever, enjoyed while watching Bollywood dance scenes on TV.
In the Arab Quarter I had some great laksa, a Malay dish with a rich and spicy coconut sauce.
On another night in Little India I had dota, which reminded me of Ethiopian injera bread.  
In the Colonial District I had the famous Singapore Sling cocktail at the Raffles Hotel.  (Very overpriced...)
One night I rode a bicycle rickshaw along the river for these views of the financial district.
The old Fullerton Hotel meets the new purple-lit bridge.
The best food in Singapore could be found at these "hawker centers," basically covered outdoor food courts.  What they lacked in decor they made up for in flavor.  

Delicious Hainanese-style Chicken Rice, a big favorite in Singapore.  
One sunny afternoon I took a nice walk through Chinatown.


The next day I worked up a sweat walking around Little India and the Arab Quarter.On my last afternoon in Singapore I went for a walk around MacRitchie Reservoir through some primary rainforest to the canopy walk pictured below.
On the walk out of the nature reserve I got caught in a nasty thunderstorm, with lightening striking all around me!  I'd made a friend, Ahbijit, originally from Assam, India, but currently living in Singapore, and somehow we escaped the park completely soaked, but alive.
I dripped in the taxi all the way to the airport, making two quick stops: first, to get my bag at my hotel, and second, for the taxi driver to buy as both some curry puffs for lunch.  Shivering and damp, I boarded a plane bound for Phuket, Thailand, ready for the next part of my spring break adventure.

No comments: