We had a week off from school, so Lori and I flew to Shanghai for an adventure in China. Despite some frustrating moments, I think it was my favorite trip so far! China is vibrant and exciting!
Then we walked to the Dongtai Lu antiques market, where I got a mahjong set, a print of 1930s Shanghai ladies playing mahjong, and lots of cool pictures. These men got to watch me, and boy, were they fascinated!


Communists figurines and Buddha with sunglasses...
The Old Shanghai is quickly disappearing as crumbling buildings are replaced with glittering skyscrapers. I've never seen so many skyscrapers in my life! Or so much laundry!
We walked past the latest construction zone and into what felt like Chinese Chinatown. The Old City was packed with tourists, but we still enjoyed the sights.


We saw these soup dumplings on Anthony Bourdain's show and couldn't wait to try them. Delish!
We waited in line for twenty minutes to get get these famous steamed dumplings.

So many people! Did you know that China's population is like that of the U.S., plus a billion people?!?!

Funny Chinglish advertisement:


Elsewhere in Shanghai, 1920s Art Deco buildings are the main attraction:
But the modern skyscrapers can always be seen, lit up in bright colors at night.

Walking back to our hostel we crossed this future-like pedestrian bridge under the freeway interchange.
The next morning we got up early to see the Bund, but were disappointed to find it largely a construction site. Shanghai will host the world's fair next year and everyone is busy getting ready. Still, these old colonial buildings were impressive...
And across the river was futuristic Pudong, which has sprung up in just the past couple decades.
We walked through a park and found this group ballroom dancing.


Back in Old Town, we enjoyed steamed dumplings once again...



In Shanghai, you're never far from a Starbucks...
If you're not in the mood for a latte, perhaps frogs, turtles, or eels would make a better breakfast...
I picked out some gorgeous silks and styles and was fitted for some Chinese dresses.
Then we took a taxi out to Qibao, a touristy old canal town within Shanghai. It mostly rained, but we enjoyed tea with my friend Mike, a fellow former Reynolds High School teacher.

Jasmine tea flower.


China is famous for silk, tea, pearls, and, of course, china.
We visited a silk factory in Suzhou and watched these cocoons being spun into reels of thread.



We took a boat through the canals of Suzhou and got to see more laundry...

The Humble Administrator's Garden (is the garden humble, or the administrator?) is a UNESCO site in old Suzhou, and a model for Portland's Classical Chinese Garden.














Pagoda (above) and canal (below) in lovely Suzhou.


Pudong at night: (I would have taken a picture of the lit-up colonial edifices on the Bund, but while I was enjoying my wine at the rooftop bar, they turned all the lights off!)
On Day 4 I walked through beautiful Fuxing Park, where I came across this woman posing for a photo shoot. She was happy to pose for me, too.

Chinese couples are much more affectionate in public than Japanese couples.
And they love their Tai Chi:
I toured Sun Yat Sen's home, where he lived whenever he was in Shanghai. The founder of the Chinese Republic (1911), he is revered still for freeing China from imperial rule. However, his vision of a modern China was ruined by warlords refusing to give up their power, and when he died in 1925, though the warlords were mostly subdued, a new fight was beginning between the Nationalists and the Communists.
We stayed in a great hostel in central Shanghai, the Mingtown E-tour Hostel. I totally recommend it to anyone wanted a cheap place to stay.

We followed another recommendation from Anthony Bourdain's show to find this street of food stalls for another dumpling lunch.
Mmm, Yang's Fry Dumplings...
In the afternoon, we took a train out to Hangzhou, just in time to see the sunset over the famous West Lake.
This was a decent hostel and we really enjoyed sharing breakfast and travel tales with an older Korean woman.
Mornings mean time for Tai Chi!









Pagoda and West Lake, Hangzhou.


At the Lingyin Temple in Hangzhou, Buddhists lit giant incense sticks to pray to the giant golden Buddha statues.





We had lunch at a Qing dynasty restaurant: Beggar's Chicken and Yellow Wine!
Back in Shanghai, we walked around the French Concession and ended the day with drinks at this swanky bar:

We spent our last night at this wonderful boutique hotel, the Old House Inn, in the French Concession. It was wonderful and I totally recommend staying there.
While Lori visited an arts and crafts museum, I spent the last morning wandering around the French Concession. I visited Song Qing Ling's house, where she lived after her husband, Sun Yat Sen, passed away. She split with her rich family to support the Communist movement and lived in Shanghai until she died in 1981. I enjoyed the museum about her life, and enjoyed the sunny stroll past quiet alleys of Shanghai residential life.
I went back to the fabric market to pick up my new clothes and fantasize about having more dresses made out of the fabulous silk.


In Shanghai, it is not uncommon to see people out in the nicest neighborhood in their pajamas.
We couldn't resist one last dumpling lunch.
Back home in Fukuoka, I admired my new dresses, made especially for me in Shanghai, China, and Hoi An, Vietnam.


The Old Shanghai is quickly disappearing as crumbling buildings are replaced with glittering skyscrapers. I've never seen so many skyscrapers in my life! Or so much laundry!
We walked past the latest construction zone and into what felt like Chinese Chinatown. The Old City was packed with tourists, but we still enjoyed the sights.
We saw these soup dumplings on Anthony Bourdain's show and couldn't wait to try them. Delish!
So many people! Did you know that China's population is like that of the U.S., plus a billion people?!?! 

Elsewhere in Shanghai, 1920s Art Deco buildings are the main attraction:
But the modern skyscrapers can always be seen, lit up in bright colors at night.

Back in Old Town, we enjoyed steamed dumplings once again...

Then we took a taxi out to Qibao, a touristy old canal town within Shanghai. It mostly rained, but we enjoyed tea with my friend Mike, a fellow former Reynolds High School teacher.
Jasmine tea flower.
China is famous for silk, tea, pearls, and, of course, china.







Pagoda (above) and canal (below) in lovely Suzhou.
Pudong at night: (I would have taken a picture of the lit-up colonial edifices on the Bund, but while I was enjoying my wine at the rooftop bar, they turned all the lights off!)
Chinese couples are much more affectionate in public than Japanese couples.
And they love their Tai Chi:
I toured Sun Yat Sen's home, where he lived whenever he was in Shanghai. The founder of the Chinese Republic (1911), he is revered still for freeing China from imperial rule. However, his vision of a modern China was ruined by warlords refusing to give up their power, and when he died in 1925, though the warlords were mostly subdued, a new fight was beginning between the Nationalists and the Communists.
We stayed in a great hostel in central Shanghai, the Mingtown E-tour Hostel. I totally recommend it to anyone wanted a cheap place to stay.
We followed another recommendation from Anthony Bourdain's show to find this street of food stalls for another dumpling lunch.
Mornings mean time for Tai Chi!





Pagoda and West Lake, Hangzhou.
At the Lingyin Temple in Hangzhou, Buddhists lit giant incense sticks to pray to the giant golden Buddha statues.



We had lunch at a Qing dynasty restaurant: Beggar's Chicken and Yellow Wine!
Back in Shanghai, we walked around the French Concession and ended the day with drinks at this swanky bar:
While Lori visited an arts and crafts museum, I spent the last morning wandering around the French Concession. I visited Song Qing Ling's house, where she lived after her husband, Sun Yat Sen, passed away. She split with her rich family to support the Communist movement and lived in Shanghai until she died in 1981. I enjoyed the museum about her life, and enjoyed the sunny stroll past quiet alleys of Shanghai residential life.
I went back to the fabric market to pick up my new clothes and fantasize about having more dresses made out of the fabulous silk.

We couldn't resist one last dumpling lunch.
2 comments:
Fabulous pictures and delicious-looking food! What an adventure.
Hi Ali! Things are horrible in RSD, as you've probably heard, with a projected 130 teachers losing jobs in our district, including most of the SS dept. Stay in Japan and have a great time. Great photos. Thanks! -Janene
Post a Comment