On Saturday morning I went up to the nearby mountains for some greener scenery and a short hike. Technically still in Fukuoka City, the rice fields felt miles away. The streams in this area flow into the Muromi River, which flows past my apartment and school into Hakata Bay.
After all that nature I had a good time hitting the town Saturday night.
We expected a typhoon this weekend so decided to stay closer to Fukuoka and save a Nagasaki trip till next month. Instead, today Lori and I took the train to Dazaifu, a popular shrine town just 30 minutes from here. The main Shinto shrine was built in the 10th century in honor of an important scholar/governor (imagine that- an academic politician! How elitist!). Japanese families flock to the shrine year-round but apparently it is especially popular during school exam time as the honoree is known as the patron saint of scholars.
Tomorrow is a national holiday, something about honoring the ancestors (I think all the holidays serve this purpose). Depending on whether the predicted typhoon shows up (no signs of it today!) I may bring some history books to the beach or check out a festival at a shrine downtown. Next weekend we have a school-wide "Sports Day" at the beach on Saturday followed by a comp day off on Monday and another Japanese holiday on Tuesday. I'm thinking of taking the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Hiroshima and visiting some nearby sites in Western Honshu. During the week I should be busy planning lessons but one night I'll also see a movie at the International Film Festival. There's so much to do! (For more pictures of my weekend so far check out my Picasa page.)
No comments:
Post a Comment