Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'll take what's behind door #3...


These are all restaurants just a couple blocks from my apartment.  I haven't been to any of them yet because I don't know what's inside.  There's something about the ubiquitous lanterns and curtains and sliding doors that are so intimidating!  Someday, though, I will try all of them.  Each one usually has a specialty, such as sushi or ramen.  I did venture into one eating establishment in a different neighborhood the other night.  Andrew, the new science teacher, and I just picked one at random and sat down at the bar.  We didn't know what to do so we ordered beers and watched what other people were doing.  The owner started handing us food from the charcoal grill behind the bar.  This is great, we thought!  But eventually he wanted us to actually order something.  The menu had very small and not very useful photos, and of course no English, so we weren't sure what to ask for.  We asked if anyone spoke English and the chef got out his cell phone and called a friend.  What service!  And it was after 9pm and I know how expensive those cell phone calls are at that time of night!  His friend said hello and I said we were hungry, but not too hungry, and we'd eat pretty much anything.  I handed the chef back his phone and he got to work, mostly grilling meat for us on the barbecue.  Any grilled meat on a stick is called yakitori and I was hoping to the get the simple chicken kind (and not just chicken skin) but instead was treated to chicken (or was it beef?) liver.  On a stick.  I can't say I loved the consistency of the liver, but the next few dishes made up for it.  I will definitely go back.  And will try some of my local eateries, too.  

Tomorrow is Parent Night at school.  High school parents often don't bother but I hope to meet a few parents and tell them how awesome their kids are.  I'm going to be offering a special AP World History club for students in my Ancient World History class who want an extra challenge.  So far most of the class is interested so we're going for it.  I'll coach them once a week but they have to read a college-level textbook, read 500 extra years of history, take practice exams, and write several AP essays throughout the year to prepare for the text in May.  It's extra work for me that I'm not exactly getting compensated for but I think it will be great!  Teaching world history to kids who are motivated!  What a treat!  

I'm still addicted to the election blogosphere.  I've written to the New York Times four times in the past four days!  My comments may make it on the website, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed to get a letter in the Sunday Magazine.  But mostly I just keep writing because I can't believe what is going on and I feel better after articulating my opinion in writing.  




1 comment:

Sandy B. said...

Please share your editorials - especially if they get published!