Sunday, September 28, 2008

Weekend excursions

Since Jinny was my first visitor I was a bit nervous about choosing the best things to show her around Fukuoka.  I'm still getting to know the place myself!  The city itself seems most exciting at night, so during the day we set off to visit some of the places I'd read about that sounded cool.On Saturday we went to Futumigaura Beach, about an hour from my apartment.  It is popular with surfers and tourists who want to see the famous white shrine.  We had burgers at a beach cafe and watched the surfers.  It was the first really pleasant day I've seen here, weather-speaking.  It was sunny but not humid, perhaps a sign of the coming fall.  
On Sunday we took the train to Yanagawa, an old city famous for its canals.  We took a boat ride through the canals with our wonderful guide who sang to us along the way.  
Yanagawa was beautiful and I'm sure I will return there often.  We had steamed eel for lunch, a Yanagawa specialty, and enjoyed watching other groups go by in their boats.  I hope to go back in November for a nighttime lantern festival.  The fall and spring colors must be especially lovely.




Here is my lunch, Yanagawa-style steamed eel, rice, and eggy "noodles".  If you want to see more pictures, check them out here:

Jinny's visit

No comments: