We've just begun the second semester at Fukuoka International School, which means I am halfway through my first year. In some ways it has flown by (I've done so much, and yet feel like I'm still just learning how to survive here) and in others it seems like I've been here forever (my beloved Portland seems so far away!). I've learned a lot so far, and am slowly making friends and always discovering new cool things about Fukuoka.
Last weekend I went on a coffee quest, and found a cool coffee shop that I'm sure I would spend all my time at if only it were a tad closer to my apartment. I walked in, heard Belle & Sebastian on the stereo, ordered a latte, and felt totally at home. I met another American living in Fukuoka, who invited me out to a new club that night. I was hoping to meet new ex-pats there but was somewhat disappointed to find I already knew several people there! Disappointed, I say, because I'm hoping to widen my circles here. I'm still working on it... Between the coffee and the club I had a fun time at karaoke with some of my girl friends, then had a late-night dinner at an izakaya (pub) with my Japanese friend and all her "dads" (her real dad, plus all his drinking buddies). I skipped the whale sashimi but enjoyed the rest of the meal.
Tuesday night I stayed up late late late to watch the inauguration. I especially enjoyed watching the growing crowds on the Mall, knowing that my parents were somewhere in that joyful mob! It was an amazing moment in history, but I was terribly disappointed in the overly Christian tone the whole affair took on. I appreciated Obama's acknowledgment of Muslims, Jews, and even "non-believers" like little old me, but I was shocked when Rick Warren led my country in a recitation of the Lord's Prayer. Really? Did we really need two ministers and a big fat bible to usher in the new President? How many times did the news cameras need to follow him in to church over the long weekend? I was almost glad that Roberts messed up the inaugural oath and had to redo it the next day, sans Bible.
Anyhow, I was dead tired the next day and have felt somewhat ill ever since, but this may be due to the oil heater I tried (unsuccessfully) to heat my apartment with this week. Lori was here last night and developed a cough herself, from me or from the oil fumes we may never know... I've been trying to take it easy but I can't afford to pass on the chance to make friends so I went out a couple times this week with potential new pals. Last night (Friday) I went with Lori and Kumi (my original fantastic friends!) to a wonderful dinner at this great upscale chain that specializes in all things tofu. I'd been to one once before and again loved the delicious little dishes. Afterwords, we went to a spa to relax in the hot tubs and shiatsu treatments. The guy getting a massage next to me was a little too relaxed, and snored like a monstrous beast the whole time, but I still enjoyed my massage and will definitely return, especially as the spa is not far from my apartment! It was more like a Korean spa (although the prices were more Japanese) and I could become a regular...
I wonder if I will ever crawl out from under this heated blanket/table. I can see the snow piling up on the ledge outside my window, and think I may have to brave the cold tomorrow to visit the lovely zen garden in Dazaifu or something. I am content for today, however, to sit here and peruse travel books, planning my spring break in Malaysia, second spring break in Shanghai, and summer in western China... I will attend a conference in Singapore in March and then spend a week on the Malay peninsula, splitting my time between beach and rainforest. I'm looking for travel buddies for any of my upcoming journeys... is anybody interested?
No comments:
Post a Comment